Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pantyliners and Decisions

So here's the short of it,
Pantyliners are a lifesaver! And I have to make a decision. I appreciate your continued prayers.


And here's the long
I saw my wonderful surgeon for a follow up on Friday morning. She says that I'm healing nicely and gave me the interpretation of the pathology from the surgery. When she looked at the awful problems I'm having with the surgical tape (even that paper stuff) and she gave me the best solution ever. Pantyliners! So I just cut the pantyliner to the size it needs to be - it's got the adhesive on the back of it to stick to my special bra and there we have it - a comfortable bandage to cover the incision spots and no tape to hurt my skin. Who would have known.

Decisions.
I've had an appointment with my Radiologist. He is very reluctant for me to have any additional surgical work done, because it will move the tissues around and he won't be able to target the spot that needs a radiation boost - that spot where the margin is only .5mm.

Lou, my wonderful son-in-law has been giving me good medical interpretations.
David, my doctor cousin, tonight, said "well, you know the thing about cancer is that it only takes one cell."

So there's a decision.
I know from out there, it probably seems pretty simple.
From here the confusion and difficulty is mostly about this.

I didn't picture this in my life to start out with. Once it was here, I made a plan and set out to get on with that plan and beat this thing. Well, even the plan isn't going the way I expected. There have been so many twists and turns and things that looked like one thing but turned into something else! Recently Elizabeth Edwards said something like, "I didn't picture my life this way, but here it is, and I have to live it like this; I don't have any other choice." So that's where I am.

In the meantime, my Dad had sugery this morning to take out his breathing tube and insert a tracheotomy and a peg feeding tube, as well as something called a green filter to prevent blood clots from getting to his heart and lungs. He looks so much better! We still have a long way to go - but Dad has always been determined!

So for tonight.

I'm thankful for the comfort of pantyliners!

I'm so grateful for the doctors and nurses that are taking such good care of Dad.







2 comments:

  1. I believe that life is really plan B. Maybe that is why I'm a land on my feet kinda person. So Lynn I know you have a tough decision. I know you will make the right one for you. Many many people like Ben and Wendy J. have sent regards. I told them to read your blog. Remember to ask for what you need.
    all my love Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I want you to know that there is a commediane in Austin that has a show totally devoted to the use of pantyliners and other female products. I think she use one of those extra thick ones to make a coozie for her beer and her coke can. She has stuck them on the bottom of hotpans for hotpads, and all sorts of other innovative uses. However, I think I like yours best. . .
    I know that you have a lot going on right now, and I want you to know that prayers are continually going up or you here in Dallas. Me and the girls are thinking of you a lot.

    Take care of yourself, and don't continue overextending yourself. If I were there I would get you a timer and make you set limits as to how much you could be up and around... you might want to do that.. I did that to my mom and after a while she started seeing it worked when she had her historectomy.
    sleep tight, and I will continue checking in.
    Love and Peace,
    Mollie

    ReplyDelete