Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tape Burns

So here's the short of it,
Two days
out from surgery and I feel like I'm gaining strength and my confused head is becoming a little clearer. I changed the bandage to get some relief from "tape burns".

And here's the long
I'm still very sore and tender. I've joked that now I know what it feels like to get stabbed with a knife...oh, maybe not, because I did get some stitches, and I'm sure that Dr. Witherspoon's "knife"
was very intentional and caused as little collateral damage as possible.

Today's development is all about tape, surgical tape.
After the surgery, I got this great bandaging job done - gauze bandages over the stitch area and then a cover with clear tape so that I don't get the incision sites wet. The tape also offered a bit of support.

This morning I began to feel lots of burning discomfort, so I took some more Advil. It really didn't get any better so I finally checked. I was having a reaction right at the edges of the tape. It's a bit like a carpet burn. SO, I called Dr. Witherspoon's office and spoke to one of the nurses. The old bandages came off and I'm now rebandaged with gauze and paper tape. The skin burns are extremely sensitive and the new bandage doesn't offer any
support. But I'm glad to get a kind of tape that won't cause a skin reaction.

Changing the bandages let me get a good look at the surgical sites. There is a fairly long incision at the side of my breast and an even larger one on the inside bottom. I'm also pretty bruised. But all in all, I think I'm gaining strength, thinking more clearly, and feeling better every day.





4 comments:

  1. Lynn
    you being able to post says lots about your spirit and health. I too found Dr. Witherspoon an excellent surgeon.
    I know that you don't like the fogginess but it will pass. Remember that any pain medicine takes 20 minutes at least to get into one's system, so don't wait until you start hurthing to take some, for most of the first week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can read and direct my prayers, what a great world we live in that allows us to walk this path with you, generous as you are in opening up the experience! I want to hear about the technicolor urine, I want every thought, every impact you feel like sharing--you've injected your prayer warriors into the site too by doing this.

    We had the reception for Pam and Jane and gathered around a table at W. 40th with news, speculation and thoughts of you on the day of surgery. You are a sparkle in our department.

    Do you wonder why so many in that department have had something odd like this hit them physically? I think statistically we're breaking some kind of record. Love Canal? I can't help but notice and remember how my nylons ran spontaneously when I attended Jr. High at Trinity Christian there near the VAAP (Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant). We girls stopped wearing nylons, the chemicals in the air did them in.

    Not that cause matters at this point in the fight. "Toxic stress" in this profession would be enough.

    Hugging pillows for the incision site and ginger to prevent nausea ... and LOVE LOVE LOVE
    --Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey. Each of us is with you in mind and spirit, with the ultimate and optimmistic hope of a positive outcome. Warmest thoughts and prayers are with you and your family now and for the days ahead. Gentle hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have the tape problem taken care of. How is your dad doing now? What a rough couple of weeks...Shoot me a text or call over the weekend if you feel up to it. Sending hugs from Myra and Milko.

    ReplyDelete