Friday, May 22, 2009

Pathology

So here's the short of it,
Dr. Witherspoon called with pathology results. Every outcome is, in the end, positive! I've learned that "breast cancer" only means where the cancer is - there are many kinds and I have a kind for which there is good medicine.


And here's the long

Before my surgery the mammogram, the ultrasound, and the MRI all were showing different variations of the tumor. The MRI in particular showed something that could be characterized as tendrils, or maybe tentacles stretching from the tumor and growing out through my breast tissue. The tumor itself was close to my chest wall. However, Dr. Witherspoon cautioned that MRI's aren't routinely used for screening, because they pick up many things that are not cancer. Only the surgery would give the answer.

The tentacles were an early stage of cancer which is still contained within the milk ducts, but which would eventually become invasive. I haven't gotten the pathology report yet, but I believe they are called "in situ". She also said that this kind of cancer cell is not always picked up on a mammogram!

So everything is out with clean margins except for one place right next to the skin, which I understand is not a concern.

The two lymph nodes are clean and clear of cancer cells! This is great news.

The tumor is HER-2 and Estrogen receptor positive.
HER-2 is a specific genetic mutation that results in a very aggressive form of cancer.
Here are a couple of links that give a pretty good explanation of HER-2. One of them is from the manufacturer of the drug used to treat it.
http://www.herceptin.com/her2-breast-cancer/testing-education/what-is.jsp
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/8765

Herceptin is a molecularly targeted therapy and only began to be used in 2000. It has had amazing results.

Although I don't know the details yet, or the chronology, it seems that the treatment protocol will include radiation, chemotherapy, herceptin, and an estrogen repressor.

This evening, my gratitude goes to Dr. Dennis Slamon, the UCLA researcher whose laboratory and clinical research for 12 years led to the development of Herceptin. Here's a link to an article about him.
http://laist.com/2008/10/13/scientist_dr_dennis_slamon_and_herc.php

Tonight he's my hero.


Dennis Slamon, M.D., Ph.D.

Dennis Slamon, M.D., Ph.D.





3 comments:

  1. Lynn, you are our hero and one brave trooper.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw you the other day at work, I didn't get a chance to talk to you privately (or otherwise) but I would have if I'd hung around longer. I'm glad all the news so far is good news. When Frank went through this it was stressful for awhile, but you just do what you need to do and hope for the best. It's another lesson in life about how little control we really have, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, this is excellent news. Your medicine being created is another good reason for better services for bright kids. Maybe this president is sincere about more money for math and science for schools. I glad you have not owned canser as "my" canser. We should reject canser at all times. I have found the opportunity in my crisis; I know you will find yours.Please let me know when you are accepting visitors.

    ReplyDelete