Thursday, September 2, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
Gardening is Great.

And here's the long

I won't even write about work tonight.  That way I can focus on the positive!

Last night Lily D. called to ask if I might have any garden produce to donate to the Temple Youth Group.  They are cooking the First Friday Dinner tomorrow and are doing Italian.  I'm going to contribute tomatoes, basil, and some sweet peppers. 



The big tomatoes in the front of the box are the good old standby Celebrity.  They always taste so good.  I had two for dinner cut up with just a little "crazy jane's".  They were so just out of the garden good!  The little round red tomatoes in the back of the box are Dad's TFI's.  They've been propagated from seed by our family ever since the summer Mom and Dad joined me in Israel for a summer trip and Mom squashed a tomato in her handkerchief and ended up with some seeds in the suitcase! There's lots of basil for the Pesto Sauce they are planning on making. And some green and red peppers that are named "sweet salsa peppers, not bell". 

The tomatoes are about gone.  The lack of rain - my lack of watering - the blight, and on and on.  There will probably just be a few here and there from now til they are gone. But this was a pretty nice little harvest - and it's only the ones that don't have much of a blemish on them.  I've got about that many that maybe have a spot on them that I can cut out and we'll be able to enjoy over the weekend.  I wish I had more energy when I get home in the evenings to work in the garden. But I'm managing to spend a little time every weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment