Friday, September 24, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
I'm reading a book!

And here's the long

One of the things I lost during the last year, that I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever really get back was reading.  During my chemotherapy and radiation I wasn't the least inclined to read much of anything.  It seemed like, in the months that followed, that every time I picked up a book to start reading, I just didn't have the ability to sustain the concentration it took to read.  I wondered if I would ever really want to read like I used to.  Mom used to tell me that when I was little I wanted my books in the bed instead of stuffed animals or dollies.  I have memories of staying up quite late at night and reading from the age of 8 or 9.  So this was such a loss...

Today I went with Alan to the hospital for an outpatient procedure in the afternoon, and so I took along The Help, a book I've been wanting to read for awhile now.  I started it when they took him back for the procedure, and haven't wanted to put it down all afternoon and evening!  Maybe I'm getting my mind back - at least the part that loved to read. 

It's a great read, and I'm going to get back with it for another hour or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment