Sunday, June 14, 2009

Haircut and Stuff

So here's the short of it,
I got my hair cut pretty short yesterday.

And here's the long.
With all that's going on, I was way overdue for a haircut. The hairdresser I've been using for the last year or so had a bad accident and is unable to use her left hand, and besides, I really haven't been focused on getting hair done. So yesterday she arranged for a young friend of hers to give me a haircut under her direction.

I decided that I wanted to go ahead and get it cut short. The doctors have all told me that it's possible I won't lose my hair, but it's highly likely. Really short will be better if it starts to fall out. So
Amanda began to cut my hair and I felt like it wasn't going to be short enough, so I rather flippantly said, "just cut it off really short since it's all going to fall out anyway." In the mirror I saw her stop and look at me with a puzzled look. So I said, "I'm going to start chemotherapy and it's probably all going to fall out." Amanda just broke into tears and hugged me and said, "I am so sorry." Well, that made me cry. So here we are at the hairdressing chair - a young girl who doesn't even know me, crying about what I'm facing - and me, the one who has worked hard to face this all without tears, red faced with tears streaming down my face.

It took us both a bit, but we pulled it together and she gave me another hug and a great short haircut. So now that's ready!


I'm so thankful that there are so many people who know me, and even those who don't, who are there to support me, talk with me, and like Amanda, just appreciate how hard this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment