Friday, June 19, 2009

Treatment Regimen

So here's the short of it,
It will take a year, 52 weeks ,to complete this part of the treatment. Yesterday counts as week 1 so I'm down to 51 weeks.

And here's the long
Every week for the next 51 weeks, I'll have an infusion treatment. My medicines are TCH, Taxotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin.

Every 3 weeks I have a "long treatment" which has all of those medicines. That is what I got yesterday that took from 9:30 to 2:30 or 2:45. All together I have 6 of those treatments. The intervening weeks when I'm not getting all the drugs, I get the Herceptin alone. That one is much shorter. We'll know next week how that one goes. They monitor the rate of the drip and slow it down if necessary. Then after the "long treatments" are finished I continue to get the Herceptin drip weekly until reaching week 52!

Since I have an intravenous drip every week for 51 more weeks, I'm sure glad to have the port (even though it is still very sore and tender).

Last night I was up at 3:00 AM and my body just felt like it was buzzing. I took that as a very good sign that the drugs are doing their job. So I just sat in the den reading and feeling this amazing sense that the medicines were zooming about my whole physical body!

Today I am thankful that I have the privilege of living in a time when medicine can give me a year of treatments and kill any rogue cancer cells that didn't come out during the surgery.







No comments:

Post a Comment