Sunday, June 14, 2009

One Decision Done - others can wait.

So here's the short of it,
I have decided that I will not participate in the ALTTO trial.

And here's the long
Thanks to all of you for your comments and support in my efforts to make the decision about whether or not to participate in the ALTTO trial or choose the standard newer chemotherapy treatment.

My thought process centered on the trial requirement for the original chemotherapy to include the "Red Devil" drug adriamycin . The heart damage that it sometimes causes is irreversible. I know that I want to defeat this cancer, but I don't want to end up with heart failure in the battle. And the herceptin that is so effective against the HER2 already has some heart damage potential, although it does appear to be reversible.

The other really strong reason is the 25% possibility that I wouldn't be getting any herceptin at all if I landed in the Lapatinib only arm of the trial.

So one more time, thanks to each of you for the ways that you supported me in making this decision.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn, thank you again for keeping both your and Dad's blog up to date for all of us!! Both my sisters read it daily. Good luck tomorrow with the port, you are always in our prayers and thoughts!! We hope to see you Thursday unless Dad comes to Atlanta. Love ya, Pat & Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on your way now that decisions are made. You are a good fighter, and you are going to BEAT THIS CANCER!
    ILY

    ReplyDelete