Friday, June 12, 2009

So here's the short of it,
Today I went to a different medical oncologist for a second opinion.

And here's the long
I thought that I might need to hear another opinion about the chemotherapy options so the wonderful people at Erlanger helped me get in to see another medical oncologist for a second opinion.

I saw Dr. Larry Schlabach and I've found my match for a medical oncologist.
He was amazing. The very first thing he did was to reassure Alan and me. His explanations were thorough and matched our level of understanding of cell biology and such. And he really inspired confidence in me. Of course he also has the ALTTO trial. He has a somewhat different take on it than the other office. He has concerns that the trial uses adriamycin. It is a very harsh drug that is no longer used in the standard treatment for HER2/NEU breast cancers. It's sometimes called "Red Devil" because of its color and its harshness. I was also interested that they would give the Herceptin infusion every week instead of every three weeks, because that is what the trial that proved it effective did.

I have to have an answer by Monday. I still don't know, but I'm feeling calmer about it all.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a second opinion and found a Dr. that is a good match for you! I think you are well on your way to earning an honorary MD!
    Love you, "prayer flag Pat"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    I'm glad you found a match. thinking not just getting crazy and becoming too emotional. remember that many people inlcuding me love you.
    remember too to ask for what you need.
    Max

    ReplyDelete