Sunday, September 11, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
Reflections on 9/11

And here's the long.

This evening we went to a community 9/11 commemorative service that was held at Mom's church. There were four area ministers, a choir made up of volunteers from all across the community, a brass ensemble, and honor guards representing First Responders and the military. The service was mostly music and was very well done and quite beautiful. I was glad that we went.

I've been watching the Facebook posts all day long that reference the 9/11 event. My friends and family are all over the political spectrum in their responses to the 10th anniversary. It all makes me so reflective.

It was a horrible day. I, like anyone of a certain age, remember exactly where I was and how that day unfolded. I remember how much I wanted to just be with my family and hold them all close. I remember my Dad telling stories about the bombing of Pearl Harbor - I imagine for our generation, 9/11 must be an awful lot like that event was for our parents.

And then there was war.  World War II and for us this never ending war on Terrorism.

Tonight I'm thankful. For living in a country where we can all express our opinions. For a country where we come together despite our differences when we face a common enemy. For those who serve and protect us. And for those who work to repair the world and bring justice to every dark corner so that we can one day again know peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment