Monday, January 28, 2013

So here's the short of it, 
Remembering the Challenger today

And here's the long.

I was standing in the guidance office at Tyner High School.  I know that everyone else who is reading this can remember exactly where they were when they heard the news.  I remember the emotion as clearly as I remember the place and the time of day.  We could hardly believe that such a thing could have happened.

My colleague Jeannie Armstrong, was a finalist or semi-finalist for the teacher spot that Christa McAuliffe won. I can remember how deeply she felt the loss.

On the 25th Anniversary of the disaster, Steven McAuliffe, her husband said "I know Christa would say ... ordinary people can make extraordinary contributions when they remain true to themselves and enthusiastically pursue their own dreams wherever they may lead."

It's a somber time to be reflective and remember not only the teacher astronaut, but all the astronauts who were on board the Challenger that awful morning.  Our hearts are with you!


I touch the future. I teach
Christa McAuliffe



No comments:

Post a Comment