Friday, March 2, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Chattanooga's been slammed with storms and tornadoes today.

And here's the long.

I've had the weather on most of the time that I've been at home.  We have wonderful meteorologists here in Chattanooga - and they've done a really good job of keeping us informed about where the storms are and letting us know if we need to take cover.

I wasn't at work this afternoon - one of the things I did was run over for a visit with Mommy Anne.  While I was there, they had brought all the residents to sit in chairs in the hallway - their tornado safety.  They were there for about 30 minutes.  Some of them really didn't have a good idea of why they were all lined up in the hallway!  But Mommy Anne did.  I'm guessing the way the evening has gone they've been back in the hall at least a couple of times.

The storms have been coming through in waves since about lunchtime.  Valdis spent some time in their basement.  Liga spent a bit of time on lock down at the hospital (I don't really understand why they do that for weather). And here's a link to photos people have submitted to one of our TV channels.  http://www.newschannel9.com/sections/slideshow/?id=12808394

The worst damage I've heard about is up in Harrison near where we always used to put in when we were boating - the Wolftever ramp. The damage they keep showing on TV is on Short Tail Road.

We've had a couple of bands come through that have had pretty strong winds right here in Brainerd.  We've had the hard rain and some hail and really dark skies.

Right now we seem to be out of danger, but the radar shows several more storm cells moving this way from Alabama.  We won't be out of danger until probably about midnight, but I don't think I'm going to try to stay up to keep my eye on what's going on.

We did have a funny this evening before it got completely dark.  During one of the breaks in the storm, I had the back door open. I could see the storm cell approaching.  It was dark and the lightening was very visible as it got closer and closer.  I turned around to grab something in the laundry room and saw this dark streak fly by behind me.  I realized that it was Lola!  She was about two feet in front of the storm cell from which the rain was just falling in sheets!  It was quite funny - although we did get a bit of rain blowing in the back door.  And of course it was only funny, because the kitty girl made it in without being drenched.

No comments:

Post a Comment