Wednesday, March 28, 2012

So here's the short of it,
I'm watching Nova - 

And here's the long.

Genetic Code at Wiki
I'm watching "Cracking Your Genetic Code" on PBS.   This is so fascinating.

It's so interesting to me because they are talking about how drugs can be tailored to the genetic make up of the diseases.  It is like my HERCEPTIN which is called a monoclonal antibody - it interferes with the HER2/neu receptor that allows it to grow aggressively.

One scientist said something very interesting - "we are going to begin to think of ourselves more in terms of genetics" - from the people we hire to the people we choose to date!  They referenced the film Gattica which I remember seeing. Wow, I hope we aren't really headed in that direction!

So it seems that everywhere you go you leave a trail of genetic debris. If someone wants to check out your DNA it's not that hard to grab a sample.  Another wow!

And then I think - we just have to trust because it's not any different than humans taming fire or electricity.  It can be used in good and just ways or in immoral and horrific ways.  We'll have remember that educating our kids has to include helping them to understand choosing the good and just ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment