Monday, March 19, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Oh. My. Goodness!

And here's the long.

What a surprise I got tonight!





















Lola usually likes to go outside for a little while after the sun goes down. I wait until I hear her come in and then put in the pet door blocker so that Sophie is "locked in" for the night and Lola's not locked out.  Otherwise, Sophie barks in the night too much for our neighbors.

So tonight I was in the kitchen, and I heard the pet door pop.  I headed in to the laundry room to get the door closed before one of the animals went back outside and there Lola was with something fairly large in her mouth.  She looked at me and set it down.  Sophie nosed at it a bit and I realized it was a Baby Rabbit! I was SO surprised.  Lola has never been a hunter.  Our cat Clio who just preceded Lola was a hunter extraordinaire - so I'm sure I've judged her against a very high standard.  But she rarely catches anything except the other night she did get the first huge mosquito that got into the house!  Of course maybe the reason it was a successful rescue was that she's not such a great hunter!

The little fella was not hurt at all, but was absolutely scared to death!  It's heart was pounding, but it was just as quiet and still as it could have possibly been. (The only other time I've rescued a baby rabbit from a cat it was screaming loudly!) I hastily grabbed it up from the floor because I was afraid one of the animals would think it was a good evening snack. I'll have to admit for a fleeting moment, I thought about how nice it would be to have a pet rabbit! I took the pictures above and then, leaving the dog and cat behind, I took this little one out to the copse across the alley from our driveway and let it go.  I sure hope it found it's Mommy.  

I'll have to say I couldn't help but think about Peter Rabbit! I wondered what stories and adventures this little one would have to tell it's Mom about the evening with the Cat and Dog and the woman who held him in the sky and pointed something at it. 

I'll be watching for this one in the evenings and early mornings to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment