Monday, March 12, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
One more post about Rush Limbaugh and then I'll try to stop...

And here's the long.


There are two articles about Rush Limbaugh and the continuing issue of his over the top rant about Sandra Fluke that really interest me and are the basis for this post.  One of those articles suggests that the FCC should take steps to prevent him from being on the airwaves You can find that article here.  The other article claims that the First Amendment protects Rush Limbaugh and that we should focus on getting our own opposing views out there. And you can find that article here.

I think I have a different opinion than either of them.

I do believe that the First Amendment protects speech.  Rush Limbaugh, my Mom, my children, and you all have the right to express opinions.  However, there are some limitations on that right, and there are consequences to expressing those opinions.  

The law is clear that slander and libel are not protected by the First Amendment. I believe that Rush Limbaugh crossed the line and slandered Sandra Fluke. And I hope he is taken to court for that and suffers the legal consequences for that.

The other consequence is that people decide whether or not to associate with us because of our opinions.  There are people who don't want to be my friend because I say things that are supportive of positions they don't believe in.  And that's just fine.

I am convinced that we have the right to use our pennies, nickles, dimes, and dollars to help decide what will be on the airwaves.  I think it is fine for those of us who find Rush Limbaugh's broadcasts full of hate to let advertisers know that we will not support them if they continue to provide the funding for his public platform.  We've become almost immune to his horrible name calling and hatefulness for women, immigrants (legal), anyone of a race besides his own, not to mention the GLBT community, and any other group that doesn't share his own narrow views.

I for one am happy for him to speak out and say what he wants to say; I'm also happy to let anyone who financially supports him know that I will not be spending money with them.  I don't want us to "have him removed" from the airwaves.  I just want it to no longer be profitable for him. I think there are enough of us who find him beyond the line of reasonableness that we can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment