Saturday, September 29, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Tonight's the Harvest Moon. 

And here's the long.

Well, the Harvest Moon doesn't really mean so much to us in these modern times it seems.  When I googled it there was more about social media games than the real story about the Harvest Moon.

I suppose for an awful lot of people a social media game about planting corn and raising sheep is as close as it will get to experiencing farm life.

When I looked up at the moon tonight, I thought about how my ancestors lived on the land and were connected to it in ways that I can't even imagine.  I recall stories about my grandparents and great grandparents - and I recall spending time on the working farms they lived on.  Sometimes I think I'd have been happy as a farm girl.  Other times I realize that my more modern life probably suits me much better - I can do things like grow tomatoes because I want to, not because I have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment