Friday, October 26, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Birthday thoughts.

And here's the long.

Tonight Alan and I went to services at Temple -- for my birthday.  One of the explications at the bottom of the page included this quote from Martin Buber.

When people come to you for help, do not turn them off with pious words, saying "Have faith and take your troubles to God."  Act instead as if there were no God, as though there were only one person in all the world who could help - only yourself.  Martin Buber

I was especially struck by this. I think it might be a good quote to go on my mirror for this birthday year.  I suppose I first became acquainted with Martin Buber in my college years.  I read I and Thou for one of my philosophy classes, and it had a pretty powerful impact on my thoughts.  That book is still on our bookshelf, but it's been a few years since I picked it up.

I think having this quote where I'll see it a couple of times a day will be a positive influence.  It may even encourage me to look through the Buber book again, But even more importantly, it might help me look at my actions in this light more often.

So Happy Birthday to me -- what a great birthday gift to have this come into my life this evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment