Sunday, May 22, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
The tomato part of the garden is off to a good start.

And here's the long.
I still want to put another row of tomatoes in. I hope that I can get a couple of TFIs.  Somehow I lost the seeds that I saved - I really hope Mom or Aunt Joyce has a start for me.  I also have some Kumato starts from seed. And Mom has given me a little yellow pear tomato that volunteered last year in her back yard.




Here's the only row that's in the garden so far.  But notice how nicely tilled it is. Thanks to Alan!

I spent a good chunk of time getting everything weeded - then the cages in place - oh the ground is so hard. Then the stakes pounded in to keep the cages standing upright. And finally the straw spread. 










And OH MY!  This is one of the Black Cherry plants.  Two little tomatoes are coming on. It won't be long now. Dad always thought it was a great accomplishment to have ripe tomatoes by July 4th.  Of course, it's a little easier to accomplish that here in Chattanooga than it is in southeastern Kentucky.






Today I had some tomatoes from Linda's Produce.  I'm so ready for real home grown tomatoes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment