Wednesday, May 25, 2011

So here's the short of it,
Tonight at Wednesday night church, veterans were honored.

And here's the long.

Mom invited us to Wednesday night church since it was the service honoring veterans. Dad had spoken at that very event several times. As a matter of fact, he spoke the Wednesday night before his surgery.

It was a very nice evening. Two gentlemen spoke. Bob Rayburn is a Navy veteran who served in the Battle of Leyte Gulf Bay.   I first heard of that when I read the novel Space by James Michener but this is the very first time I ever heard anyone who was there speak about it. Then a gentleman who served in the Navy during the Vietnam war spoke. I was glad to be there to hear their stories.





The church has a permanent display of some of its members and past members who served in the military.














Here's a close up of Dad's picture on that display. 

I am such a lucky woman to have had Gene Howard for a father!

No comments:

Post a Comment