Friday, July 20, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
In Kentucky tonight...

And here's the long.

Mom and I drove up to Middlesboro, KY this afternoon.  It was a lovely drive and we managed to dodge all the raindrops every time the wheels were turning.

We got ourselves checked in to the motel here in Middlesboro and headed to Pineville for the Visitation for N.B. Lundy.  We took a little detour and drove by the house where Mom and Dad lived for so many years.  It looks as though someone is living there, and there's a for sale by owner sign posted in the yard.  It's still a beautiful place and I can still see the mark of Emily and Gene on that place.  It just so looked like there needed to be a garden in the back though!

From there we drove on over to Pineville and since it was still pretty early we took a trip up Spruce Street and drove by the house where we lived when I was in junior high and high school.  The neighborhood has changed a lot and there have been some changes to the house - including the big rock that used to be out by our driveway being absolutely gone!  But a lot of it is still so very familiar.  The little spring out back, the back yard that climbs steeply up into the woods, and the creek that comes down the mountain into the side yard.  Gosh I have lots of memories of that creek!

We went to the visitation and I saw lots of people from Pineville that I suppose I hadn't seen more than 30 years.  I saw lots of folks that were my brother's friends -- that was really nice.  Mom seemed to see lots of people as well.  After we left it was still daylight so we drove up Catalpa street to look at the house we lived in before we moved to Spruce Street -- then down Cedar Street, and around town a bit.  I have to say I was a bit nostalgic.  It's been a good many years since I tripped down some of those memory lanes!

Tonight a friend of Mom's from the Library Ladies club meet us for a visit at Pizza Hut where we had a late dinner.  We are at the hotel tonight and ready to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment