Friday, July 27, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Me and Chick-fil-A

And here's the long.

I'm not boycotting Chick-fil-A.  I'm also not buying any Chick-fil-A.

I'm trying to sort through all of this for myself.   I think boycott has as a part of the definition "to try to coerce" ...and I'm not really about coercion.  But I am about making informed choices.

I do love the Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich.  It is awfully good ordered up with extra pickles. There's not one around our neighborhood, so on those rare occasions when I'm over near Hamilton Place at lunch time, it's a good special treat.

And let me say, I love it that we live in a country where people can make decisions about how they spend the money they earn and support the causes that they want to.  And let me also say that Chick-fil-A supports some absolutely wonderful causes.  I personally know several students who have worked at Chick-fil-A and have had part of their college paid for because of the scholarships that are available to them.  And I think that they probably have lots of other wonderful causes.  I also know that they have a commitment to "treat every person with honor, dignity, and respect - regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender" -- kinda like the Hard Rock Cafe motto "love all, serve all".  And I'm also very sad that their chief PR person who worked hard to make sure that we know that has passed away.  

So then,  why am I not buying Chick-fil-A.  Chick- fil-A uses the profits from their business to contribute to organizations which I'm making a personal choice.  I'm not saying close down the places.  I'm not saying that they are horrible people.  Here's what I am trying to say with my choice.  

I believe that it's fine for the church and other religious organizations to define religious "marriage" any way they choose.  I think it was the late 1500's before the church even got involved in marriages.  So S. Truett Cathy's use of "biblical definition" is really a bit uninformed. But nevertheless, the marriage that we are referring to is the one that a state confers which gives two people certain rights and benefits in the lives of one another - such as being able to be a dependent on an insurance policy, being able to make medical decisions in cases of emergencies, being able to visit in the hospital at certain times, and yes financial rights and benefits. This is not about who God recognizes as married.  It's about who the law of the land recognizes as having those and other responsibilities, rights, and benefits from their partnership. 

We learned just the other day that Sally Ride passed away much too early.  She left behind a partner of 27 years and this partner who shared her life in every way has no rights and will not receive any benefits because we think in this country that we know who ought to be "married".  I can't get there in my head.  So I'm not going to eat any Chick-fil-A sandwiches or waffle fries any more.  I know that won't make much of an impact.  But if 1/4 of 1 cent of every sandwich I purchase (which may only be 3 or 4 a year) goes to support groups which I disagree with so fundamentally, then I'm going to spend my money elsewhere.  I'm not trying to close Chick-Fil-A down.  There are plenty of people who agree with them and will continue to enjoy the deliciousness - it just won't be me.  And in addition to all that, Mr. Cathy's public statements take this out of a mere personal belief and into the realm of using his position and power to influence others. 

My friend Patty Streip commented on Facebook that there are many other companies who may support things we don't agree with who just haven't been "outed" yet.  And yes, that's probably true.  But when they are, I'll stop doing business with them too.  I don't buy products that are tested on animals.  I don't spend any money at the Yellow Deli. And I work pretty hard to try to buy products that are produced in a sustainable manner.  

So today I drove by Chick-fil-A.  Down the road a bit there's a Krystal.  They sell this thing called a Krystal Chik.  

I had one.  Now it's not the same as a Chick-fil-A.  But right now I don't know of any groups they are supporting which I wouldn't want to contribute to.  And that little Krystal Chik is not a bad sandwich!

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I wish all businesses would quit donating money to their various and sundry causes and drop their prices. Then I can donate what I want to who I want.

    One thing I find interesting about these types of conversations is that the tolerance sword should cut both ways. People are upset that Cathy's business donates to a group that oppose their belief system so they are going to punish him for his belief system. I know that is extremely simplified and I know that is how it works in this country, but that just sounds equally intolerant to me. Again, this could easily be solved if businesses did not donate money (the owner's can out of their own pocket), cut their prices, and let us donate it ourselves. Those that care will donate. It is such a simple solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dropping prices part of this!
    Even if he only used his own money, I would still not buy the food. His personal money comes from those customers who buy his product. That's a little different from someone who earns their money in another way. I'm just letting my money follow my beliefs, just as he is. I really don't consider that intolerant - just integrity on my part. As I suppose he believes on his part.

    ReplyDelete