Sunday, November 11, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Veteran's Day

And here's the long.

Here's Dad!  He volunteered for the army shortly after he turned 18.

There was D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge, and Operation Varsity.  And many, many small towns and villages along the way.

World War II shaped Dad in ways that I don't think I can even imagine -- and I really knew little about it until we were all gone from home, he had retired, and the stories began to emerge.

In a moment of great clarity Dad decided to write his story down for his children and grandchildren.  We are so lucky to have it in his words.  He spent many years remembering, writing, and editing.

Dad, on this veteran's day, I thank you for your service.
I also thank you for giving us A Name In The Sand.  


No comments:

Post a Comment