Monday, November 19, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Watching the Ken Burns The Dust Bowl.

And here's the long.

Tonight is the second installment of The Dust Bowl.  I just really do enjoy how Ken Burns handles our history.  Each piece of our history comes to life under his hands by telling the stories of the people who lived in that time.


This was such a difficult time in our history, but hearing these folks who were youngsters during this time is just amazing.  I would have loved to have had Ken Burns documentaries when I was learning history.

I think that reading Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath gave me an understanding of those folks who left.  Apparently it was the largest migration in American history.  But I had no idea that 75% of the folks who lived there actually stuck it out.

I've always been fascinated with the photographs of this era.  You can see some of those photos Here and Here and Here and Here as well as many other places.

I'll have to say. I got caught up looking at the pictures at the links I provided above.  I hope you enjoy looking at a few of them.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from Grapes of Wrath - I suppose that literature has helped shape my beliefs as much as anything else in my life.

"Wherever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there.  Wherever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there.  If Casy knowed, why, I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad an' - I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry n' they know supper's ready. An' when our folks eat the stuff they raise an' live in the houses they build - why, I'll be there."
  - John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath








No comments:

Post a Comment