Tuesday, November 6, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Election night coverage!

And here's the long.

I don't need to get sucked into watching the election results into the wee hours of the morning.  But I am SO interested in the outcome.  I don't think it's any secret to my family and friends that I am "all in" supporting Obama/Biden for another term.  So yes, I have CNN on, and I'm also following the outcome on the blog I've been reading for about the last month. It's the New York Times FiveThirtyEight blog Nate Silver has been doing this blog based solely on statistical data rather than the passionate party based predictions that we see on so much of the media which seems only intent on entertaining us -- or at least telling us what we want to hear.  (We all choose to watch the stations that tell us what we want to hear!)
I am, at this point in the evening, deeply disturbed about the reports that there are places where our democratic processes seem to be in peril.  There are reports that people in Florida have had to wait in line for 6 hours.  That there are electronic voting machines which are not correctly recording votes in some places. And a friend of mine who knows, in fact, that there have been past instances of incompetent people being registered to vote - and I suppose had ballots turned in "on their behalf".  I am dreadfully sorry for all of the fraud that is perpetrated in our country to "win".

There are two things that I think are incredibly important.  The first is to educate people and help them to understand the importance of participating in the process.  The second is to make the process transparent, fair, and easy for people to participate.  As Wolf Blitzer just said on CNN - in this day and age in the United States of America it ought not to be an act of heroism to cast a vote.

Whoever wins this election - whether we know by tomorrow morning or if it is settled in the courts again.  I will honor our process.

Good night all.


No comments:

Post a Comment