Monday, November 5, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Election Day

And here's the long.

I've already voted.  But tomorrow is still heavy on my heart and mind as I know it is for many.

My fervent hope is that once the election is over our country can come together and heal some of the wounds and divisiveness that has taken root.


Facebook has certainly contributed to that divisiveness.  I know that I have fundamentally different political beliefs from many of my friends and family.  The way we deal with that on a day to day basis is to find the things we have in common and talk about and share those things.   Facebook allows us to express our opinions in the most passionate of ways without thinking about the folks who have opened their news feed to us - in other words invited us into their living rooms.  I'll have to say that in the early part of the campaign season, I was more guilty than most of posting my opinions often and in most passionate ways.  Roberta Echols, my colleague, friend, and FaceBook friend made a post that helped me see the error of my ways -- so I tried to keep my "Facebook Mouth" shut in mixed company (politically mixed that is).  I pride myself on having friends and family of many persuasions - and I like that.  I know and admire people of differing religions, races, sexuality, and political opinions.  I know and admire people who are professionals, laborers, and stay at home workers.  I know dog lovers and cat lovers, and I have a couple of friends who have pot bellied pigs - and I know people who don't want an animal anywhere near their home.

Tomorrow, we'll have a new president - I hope.  I hope we don't get thrown into a months long debate over who really won.   I don't know who it will be.  I'll pray for whoever it is.  And I'll keep working for those things I believe in no matter who it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment