Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
I had a wonderful day in Little Rock, Arkansas.  

And here's the long.

The second day of Facing History and Ourselves  today was in Little Rock.  I got up really early; Wendy wasn't feeling well enough to go, so I headed out myself. We started out at Central High School.  Yes THE Central High school, where in September 1957, 9 really brave young African American teenagers walked up the sidewalk to go to school, and walked right into history.

Today Central High school is a vibrant very ethnically diverse school.  I had an opportunity to interact with two students who were acting as docents - wow! was I ever impressed.  And the two young ladies I encountered in the ladies room were just as nice as they could be!

We heard, 3 of the Little Rock Nine as they've come to be known, as well as two other adults who were students at Central High school that year speak on a panel about that year.  It was quite interesting to hear the things they had to say, and it gave me lots to think about.  One of the things I've thought about all evening long is about how the parents knew that their children were really soldiers on the front line of the desegregation movement.

I was so glad to see Central High the way it is today.  And I know that there's much work left to do.  I hope I can be some small part of that work.




No comments:

Post a Comment