Friday, November 30, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Today Jesse Matthews pleaded guilty.

And here's the long.

In 2011 Chattanooga lost police officer Tim Chapin.  I didn't know Officer Chapin, but from all that I've heard about him, he was just a wonderful person. He responded to a burglary in progress that April day, and Jesse Matthews shot him to death.

Jesse Mathews in front of Judge Barry Steelman 
- photo by Brent McDonaldtion
Chattanooga has spent the weeks and months following preparing for a trial.  The prosecution had planned to seek the death penalty.  Today Matthews was sentenced to life plus 15 years ensuring that he will never get out of jail.  He has given up all rights to any kind of appeal.

I hope Matthews lives a long life.  I hope that during his time in jail he'll become stone cold sober and that the chaotic ranting of an outlaw brain ceases.  And then in that time, within the setting that he's in, it's my sincere hope that he finds a way to turn from the life that he has led so far and make one step and then another in the right direction.  Nothing he can ever do will bring back Officer Chapin, but perhaps he can do some good where he finds himself if he wants to do that.  I hope he will. If not, I hope that he will come to know that he chose his life.

And I'm glad that Officer Chapin's family and our community don't have to continue reliving that awful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment