Thursday, January 21, 2010

First free day

So here's the short of it,
My first day without radiation was good, but I'm pretty tired.

And here's the long

I had forgotten to turn off my phone alarm today which reminded me all those days that I had 30 minutes to finish what I was doing and get in my car and get over to radiation!  And about that time, my car just wanted to head right toward the radiation center!  I had just imagined that since I was so relieved to be finished, that it would go right out of my head. 

This morning I used a gentle soap but no scrubbing whatsoever on the treated area.  I also followed doctors orders and used petroleum jelly on the whole treated area.  Actually that's not true, I used unpetroleum jelly.  The permanent marker is almost gone from that treatment, but it didn't turn out to be very comfortable.  I was actually more uncomfortable  - so I just reconsidered and I'm going to use the Radia-guard for a few days anyway.  It has lidocaine in it so it really got me through the day without having my uncomfortable left breast at the forefront of my mind while I was trying to work.  I also took my Aunt Frances' advice.  I have a blister right where the band of the tank top built in bra is.  I lathered up good with Radia-guard and put a big piece of gauze between my skin and that elastic band.  That helped too!

I'm still so tired.  On my way home today I just felt so tired.  When I got home, I just faded and napped.  Dr. Gefter told me I'd start regaining my strength and I'd notice a difference from week to week.  I'm eager to have some of my endurance back, and I'm delighted that we've got a weekend coming up!  I have to get up and work tomorrow, but Saturday I'll sleep LOTS! 

Thanks to everyone who has kept me in prayer.  I know that gave me strength to go day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment