Friday, January 29, 2010

Snow!

So here's the short of it,
The snow came in spite of our weather forecasters predictions of rain.

And here's the long

I believe that all the weather forecasters in Chattanooga missed the call on today's weather - I think they all said we'd just have rain.  I was glad because I had a meeting this morning that really needed to happen, and it was a good thing that it didn't need to be rescheduled.  That meeting was in Hixson, and as I was leaving at about 10:30 the very first very light sleet began to fall.  I headed to Lookout Valley for my next appointment and before I reached the exit I got that robocall letting announcing that school would be dismissed at 11:30 - and as I walked in the door, the second call - the one in Spanish came.  The teacher/friend I was planning to meet with and I just decided to go ahead and have lunch together and then head home.  By the time we were served our food he had a call from his wife letting him know that it was getting bad - and by the time he got home he couldn't get all the way up his hilly driveway!

For all my friends and family from more northern climes - it hardly ever snows here in Chattanooga!  We all run out to buy bread and milk because we have a radio announcer who always tells us to as soon as it just threatens a snow flake!  We don't know how to drive in the snow.  There's not ever enough to get any practice, so when it does come it just shuts us down! 

I went to pick up Liga at work tonight so that she didn't have to drive home on the slick streets.  Alan and I walked down for dinner with Mom and I was saying that I was going to get Liga - she said, "Why don't you have Alan do that?"  My answer was because I'm a good driver in the snow.  But I gave that some more thought.  I know that I want to be an example to her that a woman can be strong and independent.  And car time often turns into good talk time.  The roads were slushy and slippery, but not too bad.  I guess they'll freeze tonight.  That's fine.  I'm sleeping in and then staying in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment