Tuesday, April 3, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Sophie is just right for this time in my life.

And here's the long.

 Alan and I have had 3 dogs together, and they've all had very distinct and great personalities. And it seems like each has been just right for the time of our lives.

Sophie keeps me company every day.  Almost every evening we take a walk around the circle.  Sometimes we go around 2 times - sometimes more.  Most of the time she's not on a leash.  She walks at her pace and I walk at mine.  Sometimes I go faster, sometimes she is the one going faster.  She stops to sniff at all sorts of interesting smells, chases squirrels, and plays with any of the circle dogs that happen to be out at the same time. She's learning to sit when I give her that command even if she's several feet away from me.  I do that so that if a strange dog or a person who seems fearful of her comes into the circle.  She sits for me and I can get her on leash in just a flash.  We're making progress on that!  When I'm ready to come in, I just have to say "Sophie, Home", and she heads home from wherever she is on the circle (I'm exaggerating a bit - this happens only about 3/4 of the time now-but she's making great progress.

While she's home during the day and not busy with some other self assigned task, such as patrolling the fence or barking at whatever she thinks might need barking at, she often hangs out in the front room fireplace.  It's a non-working fireplace, and it's always been a favorite spot for our dogs, and she really does enjoy it.

When I come home in the evening or from being out on a shopping trip, Sophie will meet me at the back gate.  If I have more than one trip to bring things into the house, she'll "help" me by walking with me.  Running away doesn't even occur to her; she's too busy with her job of making sure I make it to the car and then back into the house!

Then there's breakfast.  We eat breakfast together every morning.  Whatever I'm having, I just make her some as well.  She eats oatmeal, eggs, yogurt - whatever - then eats her dog food!  As the weather gets warmer, we'll do this ritual out of the patio!  At supper time, she's not so interested in eating, but she's always in the dining room just keeping us company and waiting to help me in the kitchen.  In the evenings after I'm all done and sit down for a bit of time with the computer, she stretches out and naps nearby - but only after she's had a beef short rib.  I keep them in the freezer and thaw one out every night.  She just loves her meaty bone.

When I finally make it to the bed - as I'm going to do in just a few minutes, she comes right along and spends the night on the floor just in reach.
What a gift!  What a beautiful companion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment