Thursday, December 13, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Dr., Dr.

And here's the long.

Today one of my great educator friends defended her dissertation.  It was a great success.  It's not quite official yet, but she will soon be officially Dr. Anderson.  I couldn't be more proud of her success.  I know it's been such a journey -- working, raising a son, helping taking care her Mom.  Cannot wait til I click on her e-mail - you see at work when someone has earned their Doctorate, it gets a change in the e-mail, just like women changing their name when they get married.  Can't wait!  Congratulations to you!

And tomorrow one of my former students will be awarded her doctorate!  And she too is one of those amazing women who has just done it!  She's a very young widow who lost her husband just a little over a year ago -- not too long after losing her father.   Lots of people would have just crumpled, but not Dr. Jenny.  I have this memory of her talking about her martial arts class - I can't remember if it was judo or karate.  When she earned her black belt, she said she was so bruised, and that she considered those bruises badges of pride.  (My own Dad would have said something about what the other guy must have looked like!)  So tomorrow she'll have the reward of all those years of working.  What's next in this wonderful woman's life.  We'll just have to stand back and see where she goes.  I know it will be some amazing something!

So Dr. and Dr.  Congratulations to you!




No comments:

Post a Comment