Friday, December 14, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Such sadness today...

And here's the long.

I was at an elementary school this morning -  in a meeting with a school psychologist, an assistant principal, a couple of teachers, and a parent.  The news about a shooting in CT, beeped through on my phone.  I was expecting a text from someone about the meeting I was in so I looked. I had that headline rolling around during this meeting that there was a shooting at an elementary school in CT.  I didn't learn any of the details until about 2 hours later when I got into my car to head to my next stop (also an elementary school).

I can hardly think - I certainly can't even wrap my mind around what would prompt a person to kill Kindergarten children.

Our whole nation is mourning.  We really need to have a national conversation about why Americans are so violent.  We need to discuss all the aspects from what kinds of gun control might be appropriate to what's going on in our culture that causes people to turn to gun violence.  I don't pretend to have the answer, but we sure need to have the conversation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment