Tuesday, December 18, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Happy Holidays debate. 

And here's the long.

So I'm on Facebook -- probably more than I should be.  Every third or fourth post these days is about "keeping Christ in Christmas", or  "Merry Christmas, I'm sorry if this offends you".  Or "Don't wish me Happy Holidays".

I'm pretty tired of it.  I live and breathe a pluralistic life.

I have lots of friends and family who are Christian.  They are "good" Christians.  And by good, I mean they are good people who try every single day in every single way that they can, to live the life they believe that God called them to live.  They worship Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

I have lots of friends and family (including my children) who are Jewish.  They are "good" Jews.  And by that I mean that they are good people who try every single day in every single way that they can to live the life they believe that God called them to live.  They sincerely believe and practice Tikkun Olam, the belief that it is our responsibility to do all that we can to repair the world and to bring about a better tomorrow every single day.

I have many friends who practice other religions as well.  I have friends who are Muslim, Buddhist, even a few who are Pagan.  In addition, before I left the classroom - I taught children of many Christian denominations as well as other religions. Good, beautiful, and wonderful children and young people.  I also have highly moral friends who are Agnostic or Atheist; yes really, they are not just people I know, but friends. So that's where I live.

Why would I look at one of my Muslim friends and say "Merry Christmas"?  I don't get it.  Of course I'll wish my Christian friends and family a Merry Christmas.  And I hope they have not only a Merry one, but a real spiritually uplifting one.  But here's the thing.  I know that not everyone is Christian and celebrates the holiday.  When I say Happy Holidays to someone, I'm saying to them, "Whatever Holiday you celebrate, I hope it's a Happy one."  I particularly like to say this when I don't know someone.  If I don't know you, I find it very presumptuous to say "Merry Christmas" to you.  If I know you celebrate Diwali, I'll wish you that - and I'll try to get the time of year right too!

On my electronic calendar, I've loaded up the religious holidays for most of the major religions.  It helps keep my consciousness raised that there are people who come in and out of my life - beautiful people who do amazing work with children - or who are great friends busy doing magnificent work in our community - who do not share my beliefs.  It keeps me from wishing everyone "Merry Christmas".  It helps me to honor the stranger by not presuming that they are just like me.

If you wish me a "Merry Christmas" and I don't know you, I'm not going to get mad at you; I'm not going to think or accuse you of waging a war on everyone who isn't a Christian; I'm not even going to tell you I'd prefer a different salutation.  I'm going to wonder though - do you really live in a world so isolated, so insulated from our pluralistic society that you think it's an appropriate greeting for every stranger you meet to say "Merry Christmas".

Happy Holidays to all of you. I genuinely wish you a very Happy Holiday - whatever Holiday you celebrate.  I hope you are surrounded by love and family.  I hope you are healthy and have enough.  I hope whatever you celebrate you leave the holiday with a renewed sense of doing good things in our world -- this wonderful, mysterious, and pluralistic world that we live in.


2 comments:

  1. As usual thhanks for keeping pur minds open to many wonderful possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual thhanks for keeping pur minds open to many wonderful possibilities.

    ReplyDelete