Friday, October 22, 2010

So here's the short of it,
Today was our last day of vacation!

And here's the long

We had a great last day here in Destin.  This morning we drove over to Okaloosa Island and spent the morning with Russ and Tina at their place.  We had coffee and donuts - good old Krispy Kreme donuts! We had a really nice visit and they showed us around a few of the places they are managing.  They were all nice, but a couple of them were really nice!

After a wonderful morning, we headed down toward Grayton Beach which is going the other way from Destin.  The other night on facebook my school friend Wendy Jung mentioned that she was loving sitting on the beach.  We went back and forth a couple of times and figured out that we are really near one another!  So We drove down to meet them for lunch at the famous Red Bar and Piccolo Restaurant.  Mom, Aunt Frances, and Aunt Joyce had a key lime pie adventure there so we knew about it.



Here's the door to the Red Bar.   Inside is even more ecclectic and interesting.  But most of the people seemed pretty much like us - people visiting the gulf coast for a bit of sun before the winter sets in and looking for a place to have lunch.  There aren't any fast food or chain restaurants this far out from Destin.  This was a fun afternoon.





So here's the inside - and the booth right behind where we were seated.  It was pleasant and we sat and visited for the longest time.  I brought home a piece of their "famous Key Lime Pie", and for me - that was tonight's dinner!!






I finally made it down to the spa area here at the condo this afternoon.  Now if I had done that on the first day, I'd have probably gone every day.  It was deserted, but I spent a good little bit of time in the hot tub, then in the steam room, and then in the shower.  It seemed to loosen up all that chest congestion a bit as well!  If I have an opportunity to come back, that spa area will see more of me!!

We are leaving in the morning and driving straight through to Chattanooga.  It looks like there's not really an easy way to get to the interstate from here.  I need to remember to ask my friend who talks about growing up in LA (Lower Alabama) what she thinks the best route is to go to and from.

It's been a lovely and relaxing week.  I'm not really ready to go home, but that's good.  I learned as a teacher that it's good to quit something before the kids were tired of it and they'd want to do it again.  I think this is the same way!  Even so, home will be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment