Saturday, May 5, 2012

So here's the short of it,
I can remember Dad teaching us about perigee and apogee. 

And here's the long.

What a beautiful "super moon" tonight. I've been hearing about it for a couple of weeks now. It must have been when there was a "super moon".  So tonight I opened the front door and looked up at the moon, it did look much larger than usual.  There were clouds in the sky, but right there in the sky, centered right in my front storm door was a break in the clouds and that beautiful big moon with a halo around it.  I could just hear Dad saying something like.  "Now, the moon is at Perigee, when its orbit is the closest to the earth.  When it's at the furthest point, its called Apogee."

I didn't get a good picture because the phone camera doesn't do so well in the dark pointing at a distant, so I found a picture that looks very much like what I saw tonight from my front porch.  I loved that the article where I found the picture was written by a woman who lives in a town called Moon. Click here for the article by Jenna Staul.  Her picture is from last year's Perigee.

It turns out that in a couple of weeks the moon will be at Apogee and will cause an annular eclipse visible from a strip of  California!  The story of Uncle Tom and eclipses is for another time.

For now I'll say, Goodnight Moon!






No comments:

Post a Comment