Sunday, May 6, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Is it have to or get to

And here's the long.

Tonight I had to wash the dishes.  And tomorrow I have to go to work.

I can remember one time when I was a youngster visiting my Grandmother VanSant.  I think that I was volunteered to be on the cousin team that was assigned to wash the dishes.  My memory of this time was that the cousin crew was pretty slim (maybe just me).  Sometimes there would be a gang of us around (9 siblings can breed a bunch of cousins) - but when that was the case, it always seemed that there was a corresponding gang of Aunts who took over the kitchen chores.

I suppose I loudly complained to My Mother that I didn't know why I had to wash the dishes.  Grandma didn't often have much to say about things such as this, but she piped up and said to me, "You don't have to wash the dishes; you get to wash the dishes."

I don't think I gave that much consideration and went about doing the dishes and feeling very put upon. But Grandma planted a seed with me that evening.  As I've grown older, I often remind myself that I have a choice of how to look at things.  I can choose to think that I have to do something or that I get to do it.  It sure makes a world of difference in how I approach the task when I can remind myself that I get to do it.

So tonight I got to do the dishes!  I got to scrub the remaining bits of deliciousness from the pots and pans and plates and flatware.  I got to load a dishwasher - gosh I remember so many days of sinks and drainboards and scalding water!  And tomorrow I get to go to work.  I have meetings with two schools/families that I've been working with for several years - and it's work I feel good about.

So Grandma - thanks for that night.  Thanks for planting a seed that would stay with me for so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment