Tuesday, May 29, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
More Memorial Day Reflections.


And here's the long.


This image got me thinking about Memorial Day yet again. 
It was posted on Facebook along with this message -


  "This guy came in today and asked if it was ok if he left    this on the bar.. I cried :( I left it there until like 1130 tonight.... I didn't want to pour it out but I had to. So I'm posting this pic so it can stay forever!! So can I get some likes people??"

Maybe this isn't just one person's idea of a memorial, as I understand there is a post claiming that Bennigan's will donate $1 for every picture like this posted to an organization which helps the families of military service men and women.

But this made me think about how each of us makes memorials for those we love.  Of course there are formal memorials that we've ritualized and have come to expect. But what really interests me is these more informal and very personal memorials that people have as a way of honoring those they've loved.  I was especially touched by this.  I know some people might not think a big beer is an appropriate memorial - but when I think about how these two men might have had many opportunities to sit and have a beer while they talked about home, their wives or girlfriends, their children, how they kill the dandelions in their front yards, when their tour of duty would be over, and so many other things that as a non-military person I probably can't even imagine.  I know that when this man bought a beer and wrote this note to his friend he was saying in an unmistakable fashion.  Man, you were my friend, and I loved you.




No comments:

Post a Comment