Monday, May 28, 2012

So here's the short of it,
Memorial Day


And here's the long.


This morning Mom, Alan, and I attended the Memorial Day service at the National Cemetery.  Then this afternoon I saw this and did a little research.  This morning Mom, Alan, and I attended the Memorial Day service at the National Cemetery.  Then this afternoon, I saw this and did a little research.

Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans. As the poster says each night about 67,000 veterans are homeless.  Another 1.5 million are at risk of homelessness.  

The veterans who are homeless include veterans of all the wars fought since World War II. 


I think back over the ceremony this morning. And I wonder why it's so easy for us to honor the veterans who have died and so hard for us to take care of the men and women who suffer the effects of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.  


I suspect they are among the unlovable.  I suspect that when we encounter them, we see alcohol and drug abuse, or mental illness instead of the veteran who went when called.  


We should not have a shortage of affordable housing.  There should be plenty of jobs for veterans that would allow a person to earn a living wage.  And there should be affordable health care for every person who ever stepped up and put on our country's uniform. If we can't do these things for anyone else in this country - surely we, as a nation, can figure out how to do these things for our veterans. 









No comments:

Post a Comment