Saturday, December 19, 2009

A good day

So here's the short of it,
I have felt so good today! 

And here's the long

What a great day this has been.  I couldn't sleep last night; none of my usual relaxation techniques worked to settle me down at all.  I have no idea what was going on that had me so wound up.  At 3 o'clock this morning I thought that I was going to pay all day for this wide awakeness.  I was wrong. I slept until about mid morning and when I got up, I felt great.  First of all, I was comfortable sleeping for the first time since I got my port.  I love to sleep on my right side with my right arm stretched up beside my head.  That was not a way to sleep with my port on the right side, so I had to use other less favorite positions - and of course sometimes I'd wake in the night on my right side, arm up and port really aching.  Anyway, I finally drifted off to sleep with my arm up and on my right side.  It felt good to be able to sleep the way I want to.

When I did get up, I felt as if I had awakened in a different body!  I haven't felt this good in a long time.  Alan commented to someone, that I've had more energy today than I've had since June.  I still have to have my Lovenox, and I am really lucky that Liga was willing to give it to me.  About 2 this afternoon, she have it to me and did a great job - she didn't hurt me at all! I've also started taking the Coumadin this evening.  I'm beginning to feel a little tired right now, but it really has been a good day. 

Hanukkah was over last night, but I have felt so horrible for the last week that we didn't even get the Menorah out!  This afternoon, Alan, Liga, Valdis, and I went to the grocery and got stuff for Latke's.  We came home and made Latke's together and even though it's a day late, we lit the Menorah and had a late, small family Hannukah celebration. We used Alan's recipe that he gave me the first year we were married.  It calls for 6 shredded potatoes and makes a bunch - he wanted to double it so we'd have plenty of leftovers!  We got a bag of potatoes that had 10 Jumbo potatoes in it.  When we got home, he was wondering where all the potatoes were if we were going to double the recipe.  By the time the guys had them peeled and Liga had them shredded, it was very apparent that we more than enough for doubling the recipe.  We made guesses about how many it would make.  None of us guessed high enough!  It made 74 latkes!   It was nice to feel better and to have both the younger kids join us, and we had plenty of leftovers to send some home with Valdis and keep plenty here for Alan.

I am thinking how lovely it will be to crawl into bed tonight and turn over onto my right side with my right arm up.  I think I'll sleep well.

Thanks to all of you who have held me in your thoughts and prayers over these last few days!  I was really pretty sick looking back on it, and feel like your energy helped sustain me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment