Thursday, December 17, 2009

Surgery tomorrow

So here's the short of it,
I have surgery tomorrow to get this offending port out of my body. 

And here's the long

Surgery tomorrow at 2:45.  I'm not naive enough to think this will be a walk in the park; I actually spoke with a fellow patient yesterday who told me her port removal had some problems, so I'm prepared.  I am so uncomfortable now though, that I have to believe it will bring some relief.  I am to report to the surgery center at 2:00.  That means I have to go early for my radiation.  Today Lori packed up 3 syringes of Lovenox for me to have at home.  I'm to do them at home myself or have someone here do them.  Lovenox is a hurty, burny shot that goes in the fat of the belly.  I'll bet mine doesn't hurt/burn as much as some other people's do because I've got enough belly fat!  Liga has volunteered to do them for me if she's home when I'm supposed to have it.

Anyway, it's that old surgical routine.
Nothing by mouth after midnight. Before all this I used to imagine getting a cup of coffee intravenously so I could get my coffee and not break the rule. (OK, all my physician and science type family and friends, I know you can't really put coffee in a vein)  Wear cotton underwear and socks (and this time head covering) if you want them to be allowed in the surgical room.  It seems like a long time from midnight until 2:45.  Any other time, I'd be starved, but I don't think it will matter so much tomorrow. 

The drill will be that the doctor will tell me how long after surgery I should wait to have the Lovenox injection and then 6 hours after that, I take my first Coumadin and take it every day at the same time.  I'm due in Dr. Schlabach's office every day next week so they can check my blood status - and they'll continue giving me the Lovenox injections if they are still needed.  Dad's heart doctor wanted to put him on Coumadin after his surgery, and I can well remember him saying that he wasn't going to be taking rat poison.  I joked about that with Dr. Schlabach the other day when he told me he was going to start me on it.  He just laughed and said, yes, that's what it is, but it works. 

Today my good doctor came by and checked on me again while I was having my Herceptin infusion.  It's pretty comforting to know he's right on it.  And of course, I would wish that anyone who ever has to have an oncology nurse could have one as wonderful as Lori.  She is absolutely the best.  She's lighthearted enough to keep me from being morose, but serious enough that I know she's listening to all my concerns!  And she's that way with all her patients - each of us feels like we are very special to her.

Mom went with me this afternoon.  We had a plumbing problem today, and the plumber couldn't get here until late this afternoon, so Alan stayed home and she went along for the ride.  I really don't need someone along for radiation and/or Herceptin, but it was nice to have the company. Also, as awful as I've been feeling this week, it made sense to have someone along to make sure I didn't keel over.  This evening she made dinner for Alan and me, and Valdis joined us.  I'm not really tasting too much right now, it seems that some of my taste came back and is gone again.  I wonder if that's the radiation or maybe it's the Herceptin.

I will try to make a brief post tomorrow after I'm home from surgery if I possibly can.  If not, I'll get to it on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment