Saturday, December 5, 2009

Snow and hair

So here's the short of it,
Today I'll do a snow report and a hair report.


And here's the long

I awoke this morning to see snow on the ground!  I never quite get over my child like excitement when it snows.  And if there is one thing that I miss about being this far south, it's knowing that there will be at least one or two good snows every winter.  Of course, I don't want to be far enough north to be snowed in either!  

By 9:30 or 10:00 the sun was out and it was completely melted!  I hope we'll have at least one more snow this winter and that it will be one that sticks around for at least a couple of days.  And of course, as a school person, it wouldn't be so bad if it happened on a week day!

Early this afternoon, I met Mom and Aunt Joyce and cousin Daniel at the cemetery.  Mom had made this beautiful arrangement - she used a dozen roses that she bought and then holly and nandina berries that she had at home.  It was just lovely. Check it out on today's post at Emily and Gene.

This evening we went to Mom's for dinner - she bought lamb chops and made a lovely meal.  Alan, Liga, and I had a nice time visiting for a bit.

Today, I'll make a hair report.  I never did really lose all the hair on my head as many people who go through chemotherapy do.  I kept it shaved short though because it started falling out all over the place, and most of my head was bald.  But I always had a bit of a mohawk stubble. I haven't shaved my head since my last chemotherapy treatment and my head hair is beginning to grow, but here isn't very much on the sides!  My eyebrows and eyelashes are extremely thin and as a matter of fact are still coming out.  Like most women I know, I shave my legs and under my arms.  By the third chemotherapy treatment, that was a task that I didn't have to worry about any more.  So far none of that is growing back.  Apparently the radiation will keep the hair under my left arm from coming back until that's over.  The hair on my arms has become very sparse.  I don't notice it coming back yet.  And yes, I lost all that hair too, and it's not growing back yet either!

I sometimes just take a look at women I know who have been through chemotherapy and radiation and  say well, they are doing fine, so I can get there too.  It's good to know that there are so many who have gone before me and are now doing fine.  I've crossed off  5 radiation treatments - only 31 left!  Then just a weekly visit for Herceptin!  By the time I get done with Herceptin, my hair will be back.  I can do this!

2 comments:

  1. Yes you can!!!! We love you and are still praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can! In fact, you ARE! Much love and prayers to you. Are you visualizing? Your journal entries, I believe, are a powerful kind of visualizing -at least in that they are a sensitive and empowering witness for your journey through this! love, love and more love to you.

    ReplyDelete