Monday, December 7, 2009

Lynn's not lining up!

So here's the short of it,
Today radiation took a long time and they had trouble getting me lined up correctly.

And here's the long

Some of my fingernails are beginning to separate from the nailbed - but so far just at the top of the nail.  Once again it is much worse on my right hand than on my left.  I don't think it necessarily means I'm going to lose those fingernails, but since that is one of the Taxotere/Abraxane side effects, I guess it's still possible. My fingernails are also very brittle and thin. My right eyebrow is behaving really funny.  I can see some eyebrow hair coming back in, but at the same time the hair that is/was still there is falling out!  My neuropathy is still the same in both my hands and feet and I'm trying to stay patient.  I understand that many people have improvement even a year and a half out from the end of chemotherapy.

Radiation was not the snap appointment today that I was expecting.  I got there about five minutes before my appointment was scheduled.  They informed me that they were processing a new patient and I'd be a little delayed.  I thought to myself, well, people waited on me the day I had my first treatment, so I don't mind waiting. While I waited, I played Fling until I almost ran my phone battery completely down. I finally realized that I was getting a chill and that I was sitting in a seat that was right in the draft every time the door opened.  I usually sit there, but usual is only for 5 minutes not for the hour that I waited today.  Anyway, when I got back into the treatment room, the technicians were having all kinds of trouble getting me lined up.  They kept moving me; then they started moving the table and the machine, but they never could get it right.  Finally they had me sit up and they rearranged the foam piece that they use at the bottom of my body mold and they put a larger knee prop under me and stretched me out again.  (Keep in mind that for almost all of this time, I have my arms up over my head.)  I still wasn't in the right position, but apparently it was a lot closer.  Finally they called for Johnna, the nurse who did my initial planning session to come in.  She came in and took a look and put something on my skin.  I couldn't see it because I had my arms up over my head and my head tilted up and to the right.  But I could see the reflection of it on the glass plate of the machine.  It looked something like a large toothed comb.  Anyway, they were trying to get a skin to source distance measurement of 85.  Johnna, my nurse, showed them how to measure it.  As an educator, I was interested in the interaction and how she explained where to look for the measurement.  They seemed very comfortable asking for her help and she helped them in a very non-threatening way.

During all this moving around, we had snatches of conversation.  I was complaining about not being able to wear deodorant (because my arms were over my head and I couldn't avoid the smell!)  Ashley really gave me something to think about.  She said, I know it's annoying, at least it's winter time though.  Wow.   I can really be grateful that it's winter time and I don't have nearly the sweating problem that I would have if it were summer time!  While they were "refreshing my marks" and I thought again that whenever I smell a permanent marker, I'm going to think about being half naked on the radiation table with my arms stretched up over my head!  By the way, I think that having my arms up every single day is loosening up my shoulder muscles a bit.  Even thought it was a long time today, it was bearable.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have another really quick treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment