Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Prayer

So here's the short of it,
I was working on Emily and Gene's blog and found a prayer that was very meaningful for me.

And here's the long

I was reading prayers from the Hospice site this evening and came across this one which really touched me. I guess reading it, it sounds as though I'm really in a tough spot, but I'm really not.  It just resonated with me from the days and weeks when chemo treatments and Dad's death had me reeling - - and it's one of my favorite philosophers.   Now that I am stronger, this is probably even more meaningful for me than if I had read it during that time. 

I'm grateful that there are people who can capture our soul's wordless yearnings in words. 

O God, early in the morning I cry to you.
Help me to pray
And to concentrate my thoughts on you:
I cannot do this alone.
In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help;
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you patience;
I do not understand your ways, but you know the way for me...

Restore me to liberty,
And enable me so to live now
That I may answer before you and before humanity.
Lord, whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.

                           -Dietrich Bonhoeffer


1 comment: