Wednesday, December 30, 2009

So here's the short of it,
Another radiation treatment done, and another year almost gone.

And here's the long

Today was radiation treatment number 22, and I had my weekly appointment with Dr. Gefter.  The rash on my chest is getting worse.  It is still not horribly uncomfortable, but he gave me instructions to begin to treat it. Apparently this chest irritation is a very common side effect, and it's location makes it a bit different from a rash in other places on the radiation field.  I am to wash it gently with an antibacterial soap two or three times per day and rinse it really well.  I'm still not to rub it with a cloth or anything so as not to abrade the skin, so I just pat it dry, and then I'm to put on a light coating of 1% hydrocortisone cream.  But I mustn't put on the cream within 4 hours of a radiation treatment.  I've done one treatment and I can already tell that the cream gives a calming effect.  I'm continuing with the cornstarch on all the rest of the area and saving the Radia-guard treatment lotion until the cornstarch isn't doing the job any more.

I had a Herceptin treatment today following my radiation.  Lori was leaving and so Elizabeth gave me my treatment.  Since she's not my regular nurse, she had forgotten that I don't have a port to use anymore, but she quickly got me going using a butterfly needle in the outside middle of my arm.  When they use a butterfly, I have to hold my arm really still for the treatment time.  Good thing it doesn't take so long.  I'm down to a little less than an hour and my treatment is done! 

This evening Mom came up for dinner.  It's still so strange not to have Dad coming in the door with her.  We were talking about New Year's and Mom reminded me that Dad always wanted to have plans for New Year's.  I think we are so tired out that whatever we do will end way before the ball drops this year!  But we'll do something to celebrate the New Year for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment