Tuesday, December 28, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
I graduated from the knee walker to a cane!

And here's the long

Right now I'm sitting with my foot propped up and iced without my boot on and being very thankful for my great doctor's appointment today.  Dr. Robertson is very pleased with the way my ankle is healing.  He says that it looks great!  At the beginning of my appointment, the nurse was taking all my information and she said "now, have you been making sure not to put any weight on it?"  I thought, Oh No.  I understood that I could put just a little weight on it if I was very careful and I had the boot on, etc.  So I got worried that I had misunderstood and that I might have done something to hurt my ankle.  So I was so relieved when he looked at the X-Ray and told me I was doing well!  He showed us the spot where the bone is beginning to knit and graduated me from the knee walker!

Yes, I can get rid of the knee walker - and with my boot and a cane I can do pretty much whatever I want.  I'm not supposed to put more than 50% of my weight on my foot.  I've got some foot exercises I'm supposed to start doing when I take off the boot in the evening to ice it which I'm still supposed to do every evening.  I'm also supposed to keep it propped up when I can.  Of course walking with the cane is a whole lot slower than whizzing around on  my knee walker, but I'm so glad,  Yes, so glad. 

Now here's the very best news.  I can drive... I CAN DRIVE!   I'm so excited.  I know Alan is relieved too that he no longer has to chauffeur me everywhere.  I have to take off my boot to drive and then put it back on before I get out of the car.  So driving will certainly be a project.  I'll have to give myself extra time on the front end of every trip to make sure I have time to get into the car, get my boot off and then when I get to my destination, taking time to put the boot back on and get into the building. I have a few days to figure that out before heading back to work next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment