Wednesday, December 15, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
My broken fibula is healing well according to the doctor.  

And here's the long

I had my first follow-up appointment with my broken ankle doctor, Dr. Robertson this afternoon.

When they took the splint off, I was so surprised to see how swollen my ankle, foot, and even toes were.  Of course my whole foot and lower leg has been encased in all that wrapping so I couldn't even see anything.  Dr. Robertson explained that all the tissue surrounding the bone excretes liquids when an injury to a bone occurs.  In addition there is apparently lots of under the skin bleeding - well not lots, but more than us lay people would imagine.  This all serves to swell the appendage and make a "natural splint" designed by our amazing human body to keep us from moving.  Anyway, I'm all swollen up. 

Here's today's x-ray.  I don't really know what I'm looking at, but here's what I was told.  The small bone is the fibula - I actually do remember that from high school biology.  Coach Adams made us memorize all the bones of the body, and there was a real skeleton in the back of the room - one of the two rooms on the front lower floor of the high school.  Those two diagonal lines are the break, he says he can tell it broke from a twisting motion.  Of course, I don't even remember it twisting.  He says it should hurt quite a bit.  It does hurt some, but not to the extent that he seemed to indicate it would.


Anyway, I'm doing so well, that he's put me in a "boot".  That should make showering easier.  Actually, not the project of getting ready to shower, since I have to take off the book; take off the ace bandage; get into the shower without putting much weight on my foot; and reverse the process when I'm done.  It's just that while I'm in the shower, I won't have to worry about getting the cast wet and I'll be able to wash my foot and leg! 

I haven't figured out the boot exactly yet.  Pretty soon after I got home, I redid it because my toes were cold and I wanted to put a sock on.  It's too tight - I've loosened it a couple of times, but don't have it just right yet.  I'll work on it tomorrow some more, and if I still don't get it, I'll call or go by for some help. 

We've got icy conditions here in Chattanooga.  No school tomorrow.....

Maybe tomorrow it'll work out to sleep in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment