Friday, December 31, 2010

So here's the short of it, 
Happy New Year!  (we lost Mom for awhile tonight)

And here's the long

Happy New Year to everyone! 

It's hard to believe the first decade of the 2000's is coming to an end.  It has really been an amazing 10 years.  I can hardly even imagine what the next 10 will bring. 

Tonight we scheduled to celebrate with Mom and cousin Mia with an early dinner.  Neither of us - well three of us counting Mom, have any great plans to stay up to see the ball drop - so early dinner and then an early bedtime was the plan.  We were going to be at the house at 5:00 and plan to eat about 5:30.  As Mia would say we put together a small feast, and both she and Mom were bringing things.  I asked Mom to bring some Raspberry sherbet which is usually pretty easy to find this time of year.....

At a little after 5:00 Mia arrived - before Mom, now that's unusual.  A little later Alan said he saw Mom's car and went out to the driveway to help her carry in some things, but she wasn't there.  We both wondered if she had gone to the grocery store.  I called her cell phone and got no answer.  It actually went straight to the voice mail!  By 5:30 I was starting to get a little anxious since she wasn't answering the phone.  We waited until about a quarter til, and Mia offered to go see if she saw Mom's car in the grocery parking lot; it wasn't there.  Alan got in his car and started checking to see if she was stranded somewhere on Brainerd Road.  It was dark... I couldn't imagine where she could be and it was 6 o'clock. 

My phone rang, Alan said he had just seen her pull out of the parking lot at Bi-lo!  She arrived a little after 6:00 much to my relief and a little fussing!  She had gone to Bi-Lo to get the sherbet and then she realized that she had forgotten her pocket book.  So she went back home to get it.  That must have been when Mia was at the grocery.  Then Mom went back to the grocery store and got the things she went for.  Her phone didn't have a charge, so she had plugged it in at home and didn't have it with her. 

I'm so grateful that she was OK and that it was just a mix up.  We ended up having a nice dinner and a nice visit, and it's almost 10:00 and everyone is gone.  I'm going to try to get to bed early.  I'm still feeling pretty yucky.  I know that it will take another day or so for the medicine to kick in and I know that if I get plenty of rest it will help the healing process!  So no ball drop tonight.

So Happy New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment