Monday, March 28, 2011

So here's the short of it, 
Oh my the first day back from a long break is hard!

And here's the long.

It's always hard to get up and get out of the house on the first day back from a break.  Of course, those who think teachers don't work very hard get all plumped up about us having those long breaks to begin with!  But, I sure did enjoy having the time to head north and have some family time!

Today wasn't quite as hard to get up and going as I expected it might, but it was cold today. The office was cold when I got there. The car was cold when I had to run up to Hixson, and my feet still haven't warmed up! It's supposed to be some warmer tomorrow - I sure do hope so!

So far even though it's been pretty cool, my plant starts in the little greenhouse seem to be doing OK.  I added an Early Girl tomato to the group yesterday. I remember when Dad first started planting the Early Girl tomatoes - of course because they were early.  I'm going to plant at least one!  Here's a great description of it. "Comes in first as an early slicing tomato and our customers' favorite early variety. Dependable large harvests of flavorful, solid 4 to 6 oz. fruit. Disease resistance is good, contributing to its excellent performance in almost any climate. A proven variety for delicious, early tomatoes." Dad always used to strive to have ripe tomatoes by the 4th of July. That was quite an achievement for a gardener in southeastern Kentucky, where the planting season is at least 2 weeks behind us here in good old Chattanooga.  A good, conscientious gardener in Chattanooga, can certainly have ripe tomatoes by the 4th if not before. But that's a good, and conscientious gardener, not one who comes home from work and flops down on the sofa to watch the news, play on facebook, walk the dog. My first priority will definitely have to be getting the ground tilled - and right now it's too wet to get that done. So - we'll see when that can get done! I just can hardly wait for good vine ripened tomatoes on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment