Saturday, February 18, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Tonight Alan and I heard Congressman John Lewis speak.

And here's the long.

I've met Congressman Lewis a couple of times and each time I see him I think about how he and other civil rights activists must have just stepped into their fears to move toward their dream.

When I heard the phrase "Keep your eyes on the prize."  a couple of times tonight, it made me understand that having our eyes on the prize is exactly what allows us to step into that fear. I think that must be especially true when we confront something where we know we are called upon to take a stand from a moral view of the world.

I'm grateful that I got to hear him speak again.  My circle of influence is sure a lot smaller than that of John Lewis, but I'll say this - the next time I'm confronted with not speaking up or not doing something out of fear, I'll take stock of the situation and try my best to "Keep my eyes on the prize".


No comments:

Post a Comment