Sunday, August 19, 2012

So here's the short of it, 
Facebook is bringing out the grammer and spelling cops!

And here's the long.

Every once in awhile on Facebook someone makes a post about how much they dislike it when people make errors with grammar and particularly homophones. So this is my take on all that.

All language has as its purpose communication.  The history of the written language and particularly spelling and grammar standardization has always fascinated me - I suppose I'm just a bit of a language aficionado.  Here's a website that explores one small facet of it. But you know, there is nothing about the misuse of your and you're or to and two that bothers me.  I really don't even think that the ability to spell or misspell potato has much to do with intelligence.

For some reason spelling and grammar is really easy for some people to learn. And for other people it's (or is that its -- oh, I know) really difficult.  From time to time I see this funny piece on Facebook about math.  And I know that for some really intelligent people the difference between to and too and two is just as confusing.  I also know that some people that I love very much don't know the difference between homophones or how to do a math word problem either. And I still like to hear about how they are doing on Facebook.

Before cultures had written language, I imagine that there was something else that people used to stratify themselves.  I wonder what it was.

You see I don't really care if people get their commas right or if they use the right homophone.  I'll have to admit that when I go to the grocery store and see the sign in the aisle that says "can goods", I still cringe just a bit - so in some way I understand the angst of the grammer cops.  But, I'm even more fascinated at how the language changes - and leaves us behind if we don't come along willingly.  I don't know what social media will do for changing our language or our standards.  Now that "publishing" is available for everyone whether they have an editor or not, I can only imagine that there will be some changes - and that lots of people won't like it.

But I like it that people have found their voices and are courageous enough to post a grammatically imperfect status.


No comments:

Post a Comment